Saturday, January 14, 2012

My dad, my hero.

I got a call on Wednesday's night from my little sister telling me that dad was going to have a surgery, 4 hours later she said he was ok but in critical condition I went to bed after midnight thinking that tomorrow he was going to be ok and he was thanks to God. He was awake and responding. Things took a turn for the worse after 10 am and by 10:30 he was gone. I rushed to the airport; the plane landed at 3:30 pm. It was like a dream, still is. The chapell was small and simple; he looked beautiful like an angel...of course it had a lot to do with my sister's choice of combination of flowers, casket and clothes. My chest was in pain, the pain that comes from the same place where I find my strength deep, deep inside. I adore my dad, he is my hero. He used to drink a bit too much, way too much. He stopped when I was 14 years old and never went back to alcohol, not once. I was raised going to Al-Ateen and Al-Anoon meetings, it was fun in a funky way. He would make anything fun no matter what. In our culture we stay with the body until he is buried or cremated, people came and left until about 2 or 3 am; my sister, her friend and myself stayed until the next day. I slept on the soft chair about 5 feet away from my dad, when I opened my eyes around 5 or 6 am I realized I was not dreaming and I cried again. My sis got up and hugged me..."his mouth is changing color" I said, she told me: "it's only the light don't worry". The Padre showed after 10 am and explained how my dad was on a better place now and pain free, I want to feel better but I can't help to think how much I already miss him. My mom seems to be ok, I thought I was going to help her stay strong but I just can't. Before he was taken a mariachi came, the old songs sounded melancholic and sad like never before. My oldest brother was crying like a kid and put a letter that his little girl wrote for grandpa inside the gasket and I almost fainted. My dad's sister was surprised how much her brother was loved, she seemed sad but very proud... She told the three of us that he died a happy man and in peace surrounded by love. I want to feel better but I am just too sad right now, I miss him too much and I can't believe that he is gone.

2 comments:

  1. I am so sorry for your loss, Betty. Patty sends her condolences too. I remember when I lost my father. He had his flaws and wasn't always around, but he taught me a lot and was a hero too in many ways. He had a military funeral complete with 9 gun salute. I still have the flag from his casket. Mourn as long as you need, but things will get better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ThNk you Gordon. Somehow things start to make sense again. It was time for him to be with God.

    ReplyDelete