Sunday, September 22, 2013

Completing the Aquabike with a beautiful mind

Even thou I think I was not well prepared for my Aquabike on September the 7th, I did a good job. I did 45 minutes on the 1.2 mile swim and averaged 16.5 mph on the 50 mile bike ride better than 2 years ago when I did the half iron distance. I have plenty of excuses of why I didn't train properly... change of jobs, the traveling, Alex going back to school, sure why not? the weather, etc. The reality is... it DOES NOT matter. I did it, I completed it even with all my limitations (age, weight, health, etc). I freaking did it again. Just like in April when I completed 172 miles in the MS150 or the half iron two years ago. I don't have a trainer or a nutritionist, I can't afford it and I'm ok with it, it makes it more challenging for me and I am up for it.

Work has been challenging as well, I am in a very difficult spot and I just roll with the punches. I have a feeling that things are going to work out at the end, at least for me. Alex got back to school and I pray that she is able to handle the stress this time. She is so close to graduate, I really admire her for being persistent. According to her, she is taking her meds and going to the doctor.

On Saturday after my bike ride I went to the bike shop where this gorgeous Cervelo R3 bike looked at me and told me "take me home", yup. I did it. I took her home, the sense of guilt is wearing off after riding her today. This baby was much more gentle in my achy hands and joints due to little arthritis here and there.

Sometimes I wonder why I do it even when I'm in pain and I think I finally got a response while reading the book "Born to Run", the author talks about the Tarahumara Indians from Mexico and how running is their only mode of transportation, There is a part in the book about this young woman that finds peace when she runs long distances. It is the only time where she can relax and her mind is quiet. I strongly relate to that. I always said that when I swim I get into this quiet mode and it is like I can talk to God. When I was riding during the Aquabike I was actually talking to myself. After a good workout I can sleep at night. Maybe that's why I do it and maybe doing the races is just a way to have a goal... who knows? but I think it works out for me. It has kept me sane that's for sure. It helps me slow down my racy beautiful mind in despite of everything that happens around me.


No comments:

Post a Comment